Sunday 16 October 2011

All stocked up.

Loving my pun there, who says art students aren't intellectual ay? ....

So, at the beginning of Uni, Graham and me decided to cook ourselves a nice Sunday roast (with our reduced price chicken of £3.25 - cheers ASDA). That chicken did us 2 scrummy meals; the roast, and a tasty risotto (eat your heart out Auntie Pat!) and 4 stuffed rolls for lunch. We thought we'd take it one step further however, and freeze the carcass, to use a bit later to make a yummy stock! A bit gruesome I know, but trust me, it was worth it!

I had watched an episode of Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall's 'River Cottage' back at home, and remembered him cooking up a fairly simple-looking chicken stock. Unlike us, he most probably used the bones of a beautiful free- range chicken that had lived a better life than I have, but sadly we can't afford such luxury.

You can find his recipe here, I pretty much followed it exactly....
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2007/mar/31/features.foodanddrink

Here's the pan with all our lovely veggies....


..... And here's the pan with the disgusting looking frozen chicken!



It's not until you start making these thing's at Uni that you suddenly realise all the things you don't have in your Uni kitchen! After cooking this for 5 hours.... I quickly realised that we didn't actually own a sieve! Luckily for us, we knew exactly where we could find one - good old pound world! Gotta love High Wycombe for all it's classy shops...!

So with our stock, I made my Mum's famous Carrot & Coriander soup, which tasted just like I remembered.

A lovely touch of home!

No comments:

Post a Comment